Wednesday, June 25, 2008



These pictures are from Sunday June 22nd. The orphanage had their annual Olympics event with several new games that maybe they should think about adding to the real Olympics in Beijing this summer. We've the ones you may not be familiar with are Carrera de llantas (Race of the tires) & Hilo y arguja (needle and thread).









So racing the tires is a pretty simple idea, you run with the tire while maintaining control of it the entire time. Sounds easy, but it's a lot harder than it these kids make it look. Okay, so the needle and thread competition. You & your partner must hop on one foot while both of you try to thread the needle. SUPER tough, but not impossible!

The gringos you see in the pics are the orphanage's "amigos" who are sponsors/donators to Villa Amistad(the orphanage). They come once a year to visit the kids and get to know what they're money is doing. This particular group, St. Martin's Church from Houston, TX and Dallas, TX, has sponsored the olympics event for three years now and I'm super glad they do. There were a lot of kids who received a SUPER BOOST of confidence due to their great athletic abilities and we all know how important a good amount of positive self-esteem can be for young kids.

Anyway, the day lasted from 8:30 -21:00 and I was exhausted by the time I left the Villa. Hope you enjoy the pics. I'll post the rest at my www.flickr.com site and maybe Facebook.

No comments: