I'm living a little thing called LIFE. These are the sometimes incredibly exciting details of special moments of my life, but for the most part they're just plain, non-exciting, entries to let you know how I'm doing. ¡Gracias y Provecho!
Sunday, May 20, 2012
Toby and all his (not-so-great) glory!
Since I've started classes, I've cut back on my work hours which means I'm home more often studying. This is great for my studying, but kinda not so great for reducing Toby's separation anxiety issues. Yes, I'm just as surprised as some of you that have never heard of such a thing w/ dogs. He gets super lonely whenever I've been at home w/ him for several hours and then I up and leave b/c of work or class. How he lets me know he's not happy w/ me leaving him home alone is by barking through the door and even scratching at the door very, very loudly. (to the point of my neighbor letting me know about it -how embarrassing!!!)
I had to research techniques to put his poor bx.(behavior) to a stop. One of which includes shaking a very loud and obnoxious sounding tin can full of metal objects in his face as soon as I hear him barking once I've shut my front door. This entails me:
1. shutting my door & locking it
2. stepping away from door
3. waiting for two mins or until he barks
4. opening the door, not saying a single word, shaking the hell outta the tin can in his face
5. and repeating steps 1 -4 until he stops
This process can sometimes take a total of 5 -10 mins b/f he calms down and accepts that i'm not gonna come back home just b/c he's barking like a maniac.
I swear, the things I go thru to train him... HA!
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
No comments:
Post a Comment